(Chattanooga State Community College, 4501 Amnicola Hwy., Chattanooga, TN 37406 | 706.537.0323)
Librarians will travel to CSCC upon request.
Corbin, KY (Baptist Health Corbin, 1 Trillium Way, Corbin, KY 40701 | 606.523.8654)
Librarians will travel to Corbin upon request. A collection of approximately 190 print titles is shelved at the Corbin site.
Ewing, VA, extension of Harrogate Campus (DeBusk Veterinary Teaching Center, 203 DeBusk Farm Drive, Ewing, VA 24248 | 800.325.0900)
Librarians will travel to DVTC for on-site instruction.
Kingsport, TN (Kingsport Higher Education Center (KHEC), 300 W. Market Street, Kingsport, TN 37660 | 423.354.5522)
Library services are supported by Northeast State Community College, located on the top floor of the Kingsport Center for Higher Education. LMU Librarians travel to the Kingsport site upon request.
Cedar Bluff (421 Park 40 North Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37923 | 865.693.1570)
In addition to the Carnegie-Vincent Library in Harrogate, the Library maintains a collection of over 1,776 print items at the Cedar Bluff extended learning site. The Cedar Bluff library is open six days per week and is staffed by the Extended Learning Sites Librarian, two full-time and one adjunct librarians. Ten laptops and seating for 18 are available.
Duncan School of Law (601 Summit Hill Drive, Knoxville, TN 37920 | 865.524.5286)
Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD)
The Law library is fully staffed and offers many of the same services available at the main Harrogate campus.
Middlesboro, KY (Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College, 1300 Chichester Avenue, Middlesboro, KY 40965 | 606.242.2145 or 865.585.8929)
ibrary services are supported by Walters State Community College.
Sevierville, TN (Walters State Community College, 1720 Old Newport Highway. Sevierville, TN 37876 | 865.286.2777)
Library services are supported by Walters State Community College.
Tampa Caylor School of Nursing (3102 E. 138th Ave Tampa, FL 33613 | 813.331.4600)
The library at the Tampa site has seating for 10 students with room for more. The physical collection includes 75 print books with room for ~3500. The Tampa site includes a computer lab with 30 desktop computers located directly across from the library. The Tampa site library has 15 Lenovo laptops for students and faculty to check out. The students and faculty at the Tampa site have access to all of the digital resources other sites have as listed below in the digital library collections including over 200,000 ebooks, 221 databases, over 37,000 serials and media (music and videos) of 92,280.
In keeping with Lincoln Memorial University’s mission, the Carnegie-Vincent Library’s mission is to provide the services, collections, staff and facilities to meet the information and research needs of the faculty, staff, and students; to provide a setting conducive to research and study, and to provide library patrons the opportunity to develop the research skills necessary for information literacy.
Lincoln Memorial University Mission Statement
Lincoln Memorial University is a comprehensive values-based learning community dedicated to providing quality educational experiences at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. The University strives to give students a foundation for a more productive life by upholding the principles of Abraham Lincoln's life: a dedication to individual liberty, responsibility, and improvement; a respect for citizenship; recognition of the intrinsic value of high moral and ethical standards.
While primarily committed to teaching, the University supports research and service. The University's curriculum and commitment to quality instruction at every level are based on the beliefs that graduates must be able to communicate clearly and effectively in an era of rapidly and continuously expanding communication technology, must have an appreciable depth of learning in a field of knowledge, must appreciate and understand the various ways by which we come to know ourselves and the world around us, and must be able to exercise informed judgments.
The University believes that one of the major cornerstones of meaningful existence is service to humanity. By making educational, service, and research opportunities available to students, Lincoln Memorial University seeks to improve life for the students it serves. While serving students from throughout the state, nation, and many other countries, the University retains a commitment to enrich the lives of people and communities in the Appalachian region and beyond.
"With Malice Towards None With Charity For All” - Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln Memorial University was founded in 1897 by General Oliver Otis Howard as an institution dedicated to the educational needs of the people of this area. The Carnegie-Vincent Library (CVL) supports the mission of Lincoln Memorial University by providing the services, collections, staff and facilities to meet the information and research needs of the faculty, staff, and students of the University; it further provides a setting conducive to research and study, while providing library patrons the opportunity to develop the information literacy skills necessary to become lifelong learners.
When Lincoln Memorial University opened its doors in 1897 there was only 1 building on campus, The Harrow School. In 1893 the School Library contained 500 books, including a number of Textbooks, available to the entire student body. In 1901 General Howard began raising funds for a number of buildings, including Grant-Lee Hall (the first building built as part of Lincoln Memorial University), the Library, dormitories, a Gymnasium, and other necessary buildings. In 1904 Mr. Andrew Carnegie donated $20,000 for the building of a much-needed library. In 1906 the Carnegie Library was opened. The original building housed a number of important collections including Lincolniana (the third largest collection of Lincoln memorabilia in the country), The Civil War collection, Appalachian writers, and Appalachian history collections. The building was also used as temporary classrooms, a chapel, and administrative offices.
In 1972 funds were raised to expand the Carnegie Library with an additional wing. Bert Vincent, a beloved local writer most famous for his long time column in the Knoxville News-Sentinel: Strolling with Bert Vincent. Bert was a long-time supporter of LMU and he often wrote about the beauty of the campus. In 1974 The Bert Vincent Memorial Wing was dedicated as a way to memorialize this much loved local figure.
Further renovation and expansion in 1987 was funded by a generous donation by the Kresge Foundation and the Mabel Pew Myrin Trust. Another renovation in 1989 was supported by Dr. Harold M Finley. His support allowed the library to create the Harold M Finley Learning Resources Center, which has evolved into a media center, providing a/v equipment, computers and electronic resources.
Today the Carnegie-Vincent Library continues to support students and faculty as Lincoln Memorial University continues to grow. The Library serves the needs of 12 extended sites as well as the needs of the local community. In 2006 the DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine opened its doors and The Lon and Elizabeth Parr Reed Medical and Allied Health Library was opened to support the Medical students.
In 2008 the library was given a much needed face lift. The Brooks family generously donated funds to decorate and outfit the new Brooks Reading Room. Additionally, new sofas, chairs, and tables were installed throughout a large portion of the 2nd floor to give students more comfortable places to study.
As the University grows the library will grow with it to continue meeting the educational needs of students and the community. If you are interested in learning more about the history of the library come visit the Archives or contact the Archivist.
Reference: Suppiger, Joseph E. The Phoenix of the Mountains. 2nd ed. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University Press, 1988.
The Carnegie Vincent Library received a generous gift from the estate of Ethel Smith Piper and Burgess Welch “Tom” Piper of Maryville, Tennessee. Smith Piper passed away in 2000 and in her will she designated a significant cash donation to the library for learning resources at Lincoln Memorial University.
Ethel Smith Piper served the education communities in Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi. She was the Coordinator of Special Education for Knoxville City Schools. She also served on the Board of Directors of the Hearing and Speech Center at the University of Tennessee, the National Council for Exceptional Children and the National Association for Children with Disabilities.
The library used this generous donation for the purchase of a new library system which enabled us to share our electronic resources such as eBooks and journals. The funds have helped us to continue the growth of library collections and services that support our academic community. By naming our library system after Ethel Smith Piper, we hope to continuously remember her for her appreciation of libraries, learning, and Lincoln Memorial University.
The Piper Catalog allows students and faculty access to over 400,000 volumes including ebooks, journals, and much more. Thank you, Ethel Smith Piper, for making the Carnegie Vincent Library better!
Memorializing Ethel Smith Piper, 1905-2000, UTK class of ‘49